After so much hype, the inaugural Women 4Africa Awards ceremony finally happened in London, very recently. Dateline was Saturday, May 19, 2012 and the venue was the Kensington Great Hall, Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, the Kensington Great Hall is the largest hall within the Kensington Conference & Event centre.
The hostess for the night was Madam Deputy Mayor herself- Councilor-Mrs. Elizabeth Rutherford. Competing on the night, were 15 gorgeous African Princesses, who all came together to celebrate the best of Africa. We heard, the beautiful event was attended by over 600 guests from all walks of life. The venue of the event according to reports we got was gloriously decorated, to the admiration of all.
Some of those who attended the very well put together occasion, which is a dream come true for the husband and wife duo of Sammie and Wisetola Onigbanjo who are the initiators of the awards show were, His Excellency-Ambassador O.K Lawal, the acting Nigerian High Commissioner to the U.K and his wife, Her Excellency Mrs. Joan Rwabyomere, the Ugandan High Commissioner, Councillor Mrs. Elizabeth Rutherford, Deputy Mayor of Kensington , His Excellency , Mr. Edward M. Turay, High Commissioner of Sierra Leone, Her Excellency Ambassador Dr. Mokoma Blay Adu-Gyamfi, Top Nollywood actress Stella Damasus, Caroline Taunton, MET Police Officer, Africa desk, Richard Taylor OBE, Isha Johansen of FC Johansen, Business Angel & City Business Leader- Gita Patel, Jennifer Ogole-CEO of BANG-Edutainment, Top UK based Designer Adebayo Jones and many other guests.
AWARDS CATEGORIES & WINNERS
1. Makeup Artist -Christelle Kedi - Cameroon
2. Business Woman - Mavis Amankwah - Ghana
3. Author/Blogger - Aminatta Forna - Sierra Leone
4. Media Professional - Lola Ogunbadejo - Nigeria
5. Young Achiever - Barbara Soetan
6. Outstanding Mother – Atiti Sosimi – Nigeria, Niina Kabesa – DRC Congo, Roucheon Iloyi – Zimbabwe
7. Entrepreneur – Mavis Amankwah - Ghana
8. Educator – Clare Eluka –Nigeria
9. Inspirational Woman –Rainatou Sow - Guinea
10. Social/Humanitarian –Betty Makoni – Zimbabwe
11. Career Woman – Nike Balogun - Nigeria
12. International African Woman– Tosin Taiwo - Nigeria
13. International Humanitarian– Olamide Davies – Nigeria
There was also 5 Recognition Awards given and 2 Special Woman awards that went to:
The Night's entertainment was provided by ''Niimp Coalition'', a UK based all male band, ''Royal Priesthood'' a husband and wife singing duo-Femi & Roucheon Iloyi and Nigerian based upcoming RnB star Michael Word, they were well supported by the Night's Deejay, DJ Gabe, who rocked the house in no small measure.
Check out a few of the night's pixs.
|MAY 7 & SAMMIE ONIGBANJO|
|ALEX AMOSU, AMBASSADOR O.K LAWAL, WENDY, SAMMIE ONIGBANJO & MRS. ABIODUN LAWAL|
|EGYPT, MAY 7 & SINEM ONABANJO|
|ONE OF NOLLYWOOD'S BEST- STELLA DAMASUS|
|MISS JAMAICA WORLD PRINCESS- CHERELLE ROSE PATTERSON|
|RACHEL WILLIAMS, CLAIRE ELUKA & SEYE AINA|
|YEMI OSUNKOYA OF KOSIBAH & RAINATU SOW|
|VIOLA NCUBE OF IROCK & WISETOLA ONIGBANJO-CO-FOUNDER W4A|
|TOLA ONIGBANJO & AMB. Dr. MOKOWA ADU BLAY GWAMFI|
|MISS NIGERIA UK & ADEBAYO JONES MIDDLE WITH OTHER GUESTS|